This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Onsolidrock View Post
    The whole chapter is about tongues and prophecy. Tongues is mentioned in verse 39.

You won't find a single instance in the New Testament of women speaking in tongues.

Actually, although the chapter deals with toungues and prophecy, it is in a whole dealing with disorderly meetings. These two issues, plus woemn constantly interupting by asking questions of their husbands were some of the problems this church faced.
    Verse 39 is the conclusion of the previous verses. It also mentions prophecy.

Do you realize that the word "man", and "brothers" is often used to refer to all believers? It is in this instance, according to the Greek.

We also need the context of the history of this period to understand "WHY" Paul was writing was he was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Onsolidrock View Post
      The whole chapter is about tongues and prophecy. Tongues is mentioned in verse 39.

You won't find a single instance in the New Testament of women speaking in tongues.
      1 Corinthians 14:34-35

The women should keep quiet in the churches, for they are not authorized to speak, but should take a secondary and subordinate place, just as the Law also says.

But if there is anything they want to learn, they should ask their own husbands at home, for it is disgraceful for a woman to talk in church [[g]for her to usurp and exercise authority over men in the church].

That little prepositional phrase is pretty important. "In the churches" does not (not, not) mean that women are not to speak - in general, or in 'tongues' - o u t s i d e the church.

Oh, and, I'm pretty certain women were in the upper room when the firey tongues or whatnot went slinging all over everybody.

There also is no verse stating that Jesus died for women.

Jesus didn't treat women like second-class citizens. They may have had to keep their mouths shut in church, but He let them speak in social situations where it (probably) was 'wrong' for them to.

Does your church make your womenfolk do yard work and swim in galchoes (sp? - I was forced to swim in them, never to learn to spell the horror correctly).
      Last edited by ShannonWallace; June 5th, 2008, 03:08 PM. Reason: I am not a FemiNazi, but my britches are in a bunch over this...

Comment

• Originally posted by HeIsEnough View Post
        I don't see anything to explain. Would you like to exclaim a certain teaching you believe comes from these scriptures?

I don't understand this in the context you are stating it. I think all believers lives are not the same. I suppose yours is just 'extra special'?

My baptism changed my life alright...in ways I could never imagine...
        I was responding to those of the group that believe that we do not have to speak in tongues as an initial sign of the baptism of the Holy Ghost. I would like for them to explain how you can deny or ignore the verses I posted.

As to your second statement,
        My conversion and my infilling of the Holy Ghost is very special to me. There are no words to explain it. To compare the Holy Ghost to something here on earth would be disrespectful. I will never forget it. When you receive the baptism, you will not have to have anyone to tell you "That's it! You got it!" You will know. We each have our own experience.
        I am not here to downplay anyone else's experience but the gift of the Holy Ghost is for all that believe.

Acts 2:39
        39For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Jesus said that he would send us the Comforter, that he (the comforter) would lead use and guide us into all truth and righteousness.

I do believe that you will speak with an unknown tongue as the initial sign as to the infilling of the Holy Ghost. I do believe that we will have the signs that Jesus spoke of in the last book of Mark 16: 15-18

15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. 17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Below is where Paul was bitten by a deadly viper and no harm came to him. I do not believe we should go about tempting God.

Acts 28: 3-7
        3And when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks, and laid them on the fire, there came a viper out of the heat, and fastened on his hand. 4And when the barbarians saw the venomous beast hang on his hand, they said among themselves, No doubt this man is a murderer, whom, though he hath escaped the sea, yet vengeance suffereth not to live. 5And he shook off the beast into the fire, and felt no harm. 6Howbeit they looked when he should have swollen, or fallen down dead suddenly: but after they had looked a great while, and saw no harm come to him, they changed their minds, and said that he was a god.

Comment

• Originally posted by lee955 View Post
          When you receive the baptism, you will not have to have anyone to tell you "That's it! You got it!" You will know. We each have our own experience.....

I am not here to downplay anyone else's experience but the gift of the Holy Ghost is for all that believe.

I do believe that you will speak with an unknown tongue as the initial sign as to the infilling of the Holy Ghost.
          All believers are baptized with the Holy Spirit.

Not all believers speak in tongues.

Your aberrant doctrine is not to be promoted on this board. Consider this a warning.
          Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

Comment

• This thread is finished.
            Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

Comment

• Genesis in reverse - Perry Stone

Interesting video:

http://kingdomengineers.wordpress.co...y-perry-stone/

Comment

• Saw that show a year or so ago...it is interesting......

Comment

• Perry Stone's Prophecy Alert

For the past few weeks, Perry Stone has been talking about a vision he had in 1996. So far, he hasn't said what city was involved....but towards the end of part three, he said he'd consider naming the city.

He's being very vague so far.....but with him announcing that he may announce the city in his vision is reminds me of listening to Art Bell at night when a guest would make comments such as "I can't tell you now" and "I have to do more study when/what/how/ something may happen and where it would happen.

He's got me a lot!

Comment

• i'm not having a go at you, but the only visions i'd take any notice of are the ones that are in The Bible...Daniel etc
                    "without Jesus my life on earth would be like listening to a neverending Fleetwood Mac song" BB

Comment

• Jesus reigns forever.
                      Last edited by faithinjesus; June 16th, 2008, 09:54 AM. Reason: wrong spelling

Comment

• I'm going to see Perry Stone in St. Louis tonight. He's here all week. I've been looking forward to his visit all year!

Comment

• Please be careful about Perry Stone and his teachings. Do a search on him here. There are too many red flags.
                          "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

Comment

• Hope you have a good time fellowshipping and praising our Lord.
                            Last edited by faithinjesus; June 16th, 2008, 09:57 AM. Reason: wrong spelling

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBunny View Post
                              i'm not having a go at you, but the only visions i'd take any notice of are the ones that are in The Bible...Daniel etc
                              Yes, I agree with you. I've heard a couple of famous preachers on TV share their visions...none of which happened. Caution.

Comment

• Years ago I listened to Perry Stone but then I started getting 'red flags' and I just won't go there now. Caution for sure...
                                When statements don't line up with the Word of God, beware.

Comment

Working...
                                X