Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaking In Tongues?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thank you...as you can tell, I'm a newbie I appreciate your kind and helpful reply! Still got lots to learn!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by selina View Post
      Thank you...as you can tell, I'm a newbie I appreciate your kind and helpful reply! Still got lots to learn!

      Welcome, Selina.... glad to have you here!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by ba shantu View Post
        I do not understand heisenough and kliska saying there is only "one baptism".

        Whew! And it's only my first day here...what am I getting myself into. Not trying to start something..
        What does the scripture I posted say to you? How do you read it?

        Here is my reference for my statement.

        Ephesians 4:4-6 4There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called— 5one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
        It was not out of context. Only one baptism matters to life everlasting. There are other baptisms, but only one matters.
        Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

        Joel 3:2

        I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

        Comment


        • Say what?

          Originally posted by Onsolidrock View Post
          Tongues were always a human language. Unkown by those speaking them.

          The rules for speaking in tongues is found in 1 Cor 14.

          No more than three people in a church service to speak in tongues and then only one at a time. That includes praying in tongues. Women are not allowed to speak in tongues. Even the prophecy in Isaiah says that men would speak in tongues.

          Nowhere in Scripture is there a prayer language that is different or to be used different that the gift which was to be used to edify the church.

          Very few churches follow those rules today.



          Can you - or anyone - please give me a chapter & verse on that?

          1 Corinthians 14:35 isn't referring to 'tongues'... or is it?

          Comment


          • Thank you, Heisenough.

            *That* does make sense. The baptism you refer to is the only one essential for eternal life, but you're not denying baptism in water, baptism with the Holy Spirit, baptism in fire or the baptism of martyrdom.

            My understanding is that you were saying "there is only one baptism", which is not true in the context of the entirety of (NT) scripture.

            Have a good night!

            Comment


            • 1Co 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

              Just bringing this up to perhaps shed some light on this rule. In Orthodox Jewish services, the men and women are separated -- often in separate "rooms" where they cannot see each other. Men in front, women in a sort of side or back room. The women watch the service, and participate silently.

              Since the early Christian church was still closely associated with the Jews at that time, perhaps this is where it got started?

              (Not trying to hijack the thread on Tongues, but wanted to clarify this.....)

              Comment


              • Originally posted by ba shantu View Post
                Thank you, Heisenough.

                *That* does make sense. The baptism you refer to is the only one essential for eternal life, but you're not denying baptism in water, baptism with the Holy Spirit, baptism in fire or the baptism of martyrdom.

                My understanding is that you were saying "there is only one baptism", which is not true in the context of the entirety of (NT) scripture.

                Have a good night!
                What we were both getting at is that every single believer has the only baptism that is essential; the baptism of/with the Spirit. And this Baptism happens upon belief and happens regardless if someone speaks in tongues or not. Tongues is not The Sign of Spirit Baptism. FYI, the speaking in Tongues in Acts was for specific purposes in specific places and times surrounding the Jewish believers, further, not every instance of the filling of the Spirit, even in Acts, was accompanied by tongues, other verses leave that part out entirely.

                As for the other debate going on; Paul was indeed answering a specific question and problem faced by the Corinthians; women interupting the meetings with questions to their husbands, amongst other issues.

                Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Kliska View Post
                  What we were both getting at is that every single believer has the only baptism that is essential; the baptism of/with the Spirit. And this Baptism happens upon belief and happens regardless if someone speaks in tongues or not. Tongues is not The Sign of Spirit Baptism.


                  Originally posted by ba shantu View Post
                  The baptism you refer to is the only one essential for eternal life...<snip>...baptism with the Holy Spirit.....<snip>
                  Correct, all believers are baptized in the Spirit.

                  "13For we were all baptized by[c] one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. "
                  Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

                  Joel 3:2

                  I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by ZeldaCA View Post
                    1Co 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

                    Just bringing this up to perhaps shed some light on this rule. In Orthodox Jewish services, the men and women are separated -- often in separate "rooms" where they cannot see each other. Men in front, women in a sort of side or back room. The women watch the service, and participate silently.

                    Since the early Christian church was still closely associated with the Jews at that time, perhaps this is where it got started?

                    (Not trying to hijack the thread on Tongues, but wanted to clarify this.....)

                    That's my understanding of it.

                    That, and the dames were yacking & yelling at their husbands during the service, disrupting everything, ergo the... 'segregation'.

                    I've never heard it said that women aren't allowed to speak in tongues.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by ShannonWallace View Post
                      Can you - or anyone - please give me a chapter & verse on that?

                      1 Corinthians 14:35 isn't referring to 'tongues'... or is it?
                      The whole chapter is about tongues and prophecy. Tongues is mentioned in verse 39.

                      You won't find a single instance in the New Testament of women speaking in tongues.

                      Comment


                      • Can anyone explain these verses?

                        Acts 8: 14-17
                        14Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: 15Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: 16(For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) 17Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

                        Acts 10: 44-47
                        44While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. 46For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, 47Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

                        Acts 19:1-7
                        1And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, 2He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. 3And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John’s baptism. 4Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. 5When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. 7And all the men were about twelve.

                        I say this with all love, humility, and meekness. You often wonder what kind of experience these people had with the Lord Jesus Christ that would make them give up everything and even their lives for him.

                        Once you encounter the experience of "Pentecost", your life is not the same. Mine hasn't been and it gets sweeter every day.

                        Comment


                        • Tongues was a gift to the church, women are a part of the church. Paul just finished laying out the gifts available to everyone in the church. Are you always interpreting the word "man" to mean "male?" Also, you assertion in light of other verses makes no sense; that the gifts are available to women as well is obvious in that there are femal prophets, and prophecy is a gift of the Spirit.

                          To add to the thoughts here, there is a very interesting and plausible theory that Paul is quoting when he writes: 1 Cor 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. 35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. And then is rebuking them for such thoughts: 1 Cor 14: 36 What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only? 37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord. 38 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant. 39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. 40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

                          There is no quotation marks in the Greek text, and we do know Paul quotes people, there are some Bibles that actually put in quotes where they are thought to be.

                          Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by lee955 View Post
                            I say this with all love, humility, and meekness. You often wonder what kind of experience these people had with the Lord Jesus Christ that would make them give up everything and even their lives for him.

                            Once you encounter the experience of "Pentecost", your life is not the same. Mine hasn't been and it gets sweeter every day.
                            There have been multiple threads where it is explained; each of these occurances were for a specific reason at that specific place and time. There are passages that also talk about a "filling" of the Spirit that do not include speaking in tongues.

                            I know for a fact that I've been baptised/filled of, or with, the Spirit, and I can also tell you I do not speak in tongues, never have. Pentecost is a valuable lesson and we can learn much from it, and it was for a fulfillment; but the Holy Spirit coming in that particular way was for that prophecied day, for a sign to the Jewish people, IMO.

                            Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

                            Comment


                            • just my $.02 worth of questions: what is the purpose of tongues today?

                              it is my understanding that back then, it was done so that foreigners could hear and comprehend the gospel in their native languages (that they might be saved).

                              since the gospel & Bibles are in (nearly) every language, what is the purpose of speaking an unknown language today? and btw wasn't tongues the act of speaking in a "actual foreign language" back then?

                              if tongues is a 'secret prayer language' then shouldn't one exercise it in the privacy of their own prayer 'closet'?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by lee955 View Post
                                Can anyone explain these verses?
                                I don't see anything to explain. Would you like to exclaim a certain teaching you believe comes from these scriptures?

                                Originally posted by lee955 View Post
                                Once you encounter the experience of "Pentecost", your life is not the same. Mine hasn't been and it gets sweeter every day.
                                I don't understand this in the context you are stating it. I think all believers lives are not the same. I suppose yours is just 'extra special'?

                                My baptism changed my life alright...in ways I could never imagine...
                                Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

                                Joel 3:2

                                I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X