Greg Laurie - good or bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg Laurie - good or bad?

I'm trying to get some info as to whether or not Greg Laurie is a false teacher. There's a friend on Facebook who attends his church and trying to convince me how great he is.
    I don't want to start getting caught up into his teachings before researching him first. Trouble is, I'm having difficulty finding anything against him (if he is indeed false). Help!
    love in Christ Jesus & prayers,
    Lynda

I am ready to go!!!

I've heard him on the radio a few times - not enough times to profess to know all about him - and what I heard was theologically sound. He's the son of a troubled mother and he's been through a lot of life's darker experiences. That's about all I know of him.
    sigpic
    Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Comment

I have heard that he promotes Lordship Salvation ("turn from your sins" to be saved) and also believes that if a believer habitually sins, they're not a Christian.
      Does anyone else know more about him?
      Lynda

I am ready to go!!!

Comment

Does anyone else know more about him? (Sorry, it wouldn't let me edit my post)
        Lynda

I am ready to go!!!

Comment

i have been a follower of Pastor Greg for many years and have always found him to be a dedicated Christian who preaches the doctrine of the Bible truthfully. I watch his videos and follow along as he preaches word for word through the passages. He is pastor of Calvary Chapel in Riverside CA and holds crusades attended by thousands. I now have him on my phone and listed to his wonderful sermons as I go about my day. He has brought me closer to the Lord and the markings in my Bible show how much he has taught me. He is a wonderful man and truthful!

'Walk humbly with the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in all your works and growing in the knowledge of God." Colossians 1:10 NKJV
          :morncof

Comment

Is it true he has affiliated with the Catholics at some of his crusades? I read that Mel Gibson was a speaker at one of them, promoting his movie.
            Lynda

I am ready to go!!!

Comment

I read also that he had Mel Gibson at one of his crusades, promoting one of his movies. (Sorry for the many posts, it won't let me edit & save)
              Lynda

I am ready to go!!!

Comment

I'm not familiar with Greg Laurie so I did a search on "Greg Laurie false teacher". A b'jillion hits came up and I perused some of them and from what I could see, he's probably a good one (faithful and true). If you go, just do some due diligence. Hopefully your friend puts Jesus on a higher pedestal than the one Greg Laurie has been placed on...
                Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

Iíve heard Greg Laurie teaching many times over the years, and every time Iíve heard him, Iíve thought he seemed Biblically accurate. Iíve only personally heard him point people to Jesus. As with any teacher, though, we should always ask the Lord for discernment.

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Timbers View Post
                    I'm not familiar with Greg Laurie so I did a search on "Greg Laurie false teacher". A b'jillion hits came up and I perused some of them and from what I could see, he's probably a good one (faithful and true). If you go, just do some due diligence. Hopefully your friend puts Jesus on a higher pedestal than the one Greg Laurie has been placed on...
                    If I" placed him on a pedestal", it is because he has done so much for me.

'Walk humbly with the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in all your works and growing in the knowledge of God." Colossians 1:10 NKJV

Comment

Originally posted by turalura View Post

If I" placed him on a pedestal", it is because he has done so much for me.
                      Many folks end up with their eyes on their Christian leadership and Christian friends in lieu of on Jesus. When those leaders and/or friends fail them, they run into difficulty. I suspect that is not the case with you however, but it is a common and unfortunate issue with churchgoers.

In my little bit of research, Greg Laurie looked good to me. Nowadays it is more and more rare to have a truth teaching local church. Those that have that are quite fortunate.
                      Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Timbers View Post

Many folks end up with their eyes on their Christian leadership and Christian friends in lieu of on Jesus. When those leaders and/or friends fail them, they run into difficulty. I suspect that is not the case with you however, but it is a common and unfortunate issue with churchgoers.

In my little bit of research, Greg Laurie looked good to me. Nowadays it is more and more rare to have a truth teaching local church. Those that have that are quite fortunate.
                        My 81-year-old husband was led to Christ by the Holy Spirit while he was listening to a sermon video of Pastor Greg from CA. He was baptized and joined the church where he has been faithful. I recommend y'all going to www.harvest.org to see his may venues for getting the gospel out. Of course, I follow the Lord as to His spiritual leaders. Amir and JD Farag are highly recommended.

Comment

I am from Riverside, CA and attend Greg's church on Sundays. He is a good pastor. His message is clear and simple, always point to Jesus Christ. I believe that he was "trained" by Chuck Smith, the founder of Calvary Chapel. He is an evangelist-type pastor. His wife, Cathe is a good friend with my wife. The music worship on Sunday mornings are always FANTASTIC!!!

Sometimes he invited guests to his Sunday service - Franklin Graham, Joel Rosenberg, Levi Lusko, Mosab Hassan Yousef (known as the Green Prince, he's a Christian), etc.

Back in 1982 I listened to the music "Sweet Comfort Band" and heard the gospel message preached by Greg Laurie. Wow, I am getting old, but I am glad that I am saved by His grace.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input!
                            Lynda

I am ready to go!!!

Comment

I remember seeing something or other on RR here about Greg Laurie but I can't seem to find it now. I just posted some info. about Lysa Terkeurst and the thread has been moved here to the apostasy section.
                              I don't necessarily think that Greg Laurie is not a sound biblical teacher, but, we all are responsible for our walk with the Lord and by saying that I mean we are to be careful who we bring in to the Church such as other teachers/speakers and I've noticed that Greg Laurie has had Lysa Terkeurst speak at the 2017 Virtue More Conference.

https://my.harvest.org/portal/event_....aspx?id=11161

https://www.harvest.org/watch-and-li...ence-session-2

https://www.harvest.org/watch-and-li...ence-session-3

I did not listen to it...

I believe it is hard to find a good woman's bible teacher, I haven't come across one. It seems that we are seeing more and more apostasy as the the very end times approach.

Best to stick with studying the Bible. There are still some good Pastors who are teaching the whole counsel of God's Word and we would be mindful to remember that as fallen humans we are all prone to stray from God's Word.

Comment

Working...
                              X