Disturbed by Bethel, Hillsong

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disturbed by Bethel, Hillsong

I saw a "christian" music video today that really really disturbed me. Before you look it up, please, I ask that if you are sensitive about the occult or shaken up by demonic things, please do not watch it. Its called "Peace" by Hillsong Young and Free (this group is not technically Hillsong or Hillsong United but come from Hillsong church). Having come from a WOF background, Jesus Culture, Hillsong, Elevation etc have all bothered me since I came out of it. Its like I almost dont feel right listening to it. Its like it sounds good but I know what these churches are about. My church is solid but we do sing songs by these groups. There are times when I dont sing certain lines because I feel it would be disingenuine to the Lord to do so. It bothers me but not to the point of making a big deal out of it. Well since watching this video and watching things about bethel church (Jesus Culture) and the apostasy of these people (whom by the way, are dominating Christian music) I am feeling much more uneasy about it. I am praying about whether to share my concern with our pastor. I know there isn't technically harm in listening to a song but do you think by having these songs in our worship could somehow invite apostasy into the church? Please know I am at a small Calvary Chapel and our pastor is not compromising the Word. Do you think I am reacting out of fear or is this a legitimate concern? I think the majority of people are not aware of whats going on with these churches. Thanks for you input.

In Christ,
    LLLG
    Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life~Proverbs 4:23

I just watched the video and it does have some parts to it that could have some creepy underlying meanings.
    Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. I just don't know exactly.

I do know that many movements that they follow are not in line with the Word of God. Like WOF, Name it and claim it, NAR, etc. So it wouldn't surprise me if their music strays from truth as well.

I will pray that you have wisdom on whether or not you should mention these songs to your pastor. It might not hurt to make him aware.

Comment

Thanks Koalie Thanks for praying, i dont want to act out of emotion or fear so i am just trying to pray about it. Really sad whats going on with the church now days. Cant wait for my Lord to return! The days are getting darker and darker. Maranatha!
      Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life~Proverbs 4:23

Comment

I shared the video with my husband and he didn't seem too worried about it. He said something like they have a lot of money so they probably paid for secular people to make the video. I guess that's a possibility. Am I overreacting? I just think the enemy is at work in the church and I was creeped out by it. I dont know...

Comment

Originally posted by LittleLadyLovinGod View Post
          I shared the video with my husband and he didn't seem too worried about it. He said something like they have a lot of money so they probably paid for secular people to make the video. I guess that's a possibility. Am I overreacting? I just think the enemy is at work in the church and I was creeped out by it. I dont know...
          You are correct "the enemy is at work in the church" and he will not stop.
          John 10:27-30 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Fatherís hand. I and the Father are one.

Comment

You are right to be vigilant on worship songs. Many churches do not screen them, or are unaware that some might be intending wrong doctrines. I had not seen this song before. They lyrics actually were impressive, the video not so much. I would not have any problem singing it in church.

Comment

Originally posted by chaser View Post

You are correct "the enemy is at work in the church" and he will not stop.
              So sad and it is true.
              Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. Psalm 84:10

Comment

I believe going off the slippery slope always begins with the music...and unfortunately this music seems to be taking over everywhere...

We used to have a huge choir at my church that sang at both services. Then they decided that the second service would be contemporary music and the "praise groups/rock band' took over. The choir over the years has dwindled and last Sunday there were only 14 of us singing. Interesting, recently the Elder board had the choir sing in the second service as they had noticed that no-one in the congregation was singing anymore with the singers on stage...like at a rock concert...spectators...

I know one elderly gentleman in my church who will not enter the church for the service while the praise bands perform in the early service (we alternate choir with praise groups in the early service)...it is his way of visibly protesting what is going on...

I remember being in a church where we sang the song with the words "Come thy fount of every blessing" (I can never remember titles of songs!!!)...and the congregation sang together one verse, then the women the following verse then the men the following verse...when it came time for the men to sing their verse alone...oh my goodness...they just boomed the roof right off the church...so powerful and affirming...

I believe it is a tragedy of biblical proportions what is going on in the churches this day with the worship music issue...

Comment

I agree, when in church for worship it would be nice not to hear the Christian top 40 pop songs I just heard on the radio. There are some of those songs that are ok, but not nearly as reverent to our God and King as any of the great hymns. And a few months ago I heard someone sing a psalm on youtube, it was wonderful. I could be wrong but I don not think I will have to hear rock type heavy metal guitar music in Heaven, when I hear it my spirit detests.
                  John 10:27-30 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Fatherís hand. I and the Father are one.

Comment

Originally posted by chaser View Post
                    I agree, when in church for worship it would be nice not to hear the Christian top 40 pop songs I just heard on the radio. There are some of those songs that are ok, but not nearly as reverent to our God and King as any of the great hymns. And a few months ago I heard someone sing a psalm on youtube, it was wonderful. I could be wrong but I don not think I will have to hear rock type heavy metal guitar music in Heaven, when I hear it my spirit detests.
                    I love to hear the Psalms sung...it is beautiful!!!

Comment

I used to enjoy Christian 'rock', but for the past few years I have found less and less songs that I actually enjoy listening to. I'm not sure if they are just too simple, too sombre, or whether it is my spirit being sensitive to the Holy Spirit's leading. I have some CDs that I will play instead if there is nothing on the Christian stations while I am in the car. The other thing I am missing is how little actual preaching of the Word is on the radio anymore. We have 2 Christian music radio stations, and AFR, but the only preaching I can find is only at certain times on AFR. I remember back in 2002-2003, we had a Calvary Chapel radio station that played preachers all day long it seemed. I miss those days, I learned so much!

Our church still has a traditional service with hymns at 8 am Sundays, I enjoy that service. I think too the younger generation can't read music, so can't follow the notes of the hymns and thus can't sing them. Maybe we need to put Christian words to secular songs, and get the gospel out that way? Some hymns started as Christian words to popular bar songs.
                      "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
                      always abounding in the work of the Lord;
                      knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

Comment

It seems virtually nothing is off limits for church, songs, worship, etc. This will not be present in Heaven or during the Reign of Christ so how can church leadership and their members accept it right now?

Comment

Try Abigail Miller family for great God-honoring music. You won't be disappointed. As far as your music concern in church, I'd raise a concern with the pastor. I don't think it can hurt to let him know that you are concerned with some of the messages coming out in these songs when you could be singing about salvation thru the blood of Christ in hymns

Comment

Working...
                          X