Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sing4Him? Anybody want to comment on this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sing4Him? Anybody want to comment on this?

A friend mentioned to me that their biblstudy group was using material from the following author (link below). To me, it seems like a pretty bad idea to use biblestudy resources (even something that sounds good) from someone who is a Roman Catholic.
    Any thoughts?
    I have thusfar only read the bio, which is enough to make me believe that they are on the wrong track....

http://www.rc.net/wcc/readings/dksbio.htm

Originally posted by scrappergirl View Post
    A friend mentioned to me that their biblstudy group was using material from the following author (link below). To me, it seems like a pretty bad idea to use biblestudy resources (even something that sounds good) from someone who is a Roman Catholic.
    Any thoughts?
    I have thusfar only read the bio, which is enough to make me believe that they are on the wrong track....

http://www.rc.net/wcc/readings/dksbio.htm

This is a catholic contemplative nightmare.

Feelings, emotion, visualization, meditation (unbiblical type) are to guide your understanding of the Gospels.

This is an easy call, in fact it is a case study in how mindless contemplative is. This is program over substance, and there is no coming to a saving knowledge of Jesus.

Do you want to have a dialog with your friend on the matter? Do you want information on countering this?
    There is One King, and He is not this guy. sigpic

Comment

Beware the leaven

This is another lovely looking site that unfortunately links to deadly "leaven" that folks such as Rob/Bob Bell are putting out. Do a search on him and some others below to see the danger being slipped in among the wonderful Bible verses and selected teachings of the Church fathers.

The meditation is also another route to error: look carefully at the practice. They do not mean Biblical meditation on God's Word, but an eastern meditation and prayer that opens the mind to deception. This is not a picky warning: the confusion and distortion of truth that enters the mind through this route is not to be toyed with.

If your friend and this church want to have a Bible study, why go to this site and these teachings? We have the Bible; the rest is eye-candy, and some can be deadly.

From their website:

References

Several scholars, writers, and clergy give me guidance and support in the writing of the meditations. Two close friends and scholars give me ongoing support and guidance: Dr. Mark Whitters, lecturer in ancient history and religion at Eastern Michigan University and a regional coordinator for the Society of Biblical Literature, and Fr. Dan Jones, a diocescan priest who is a professor in patristics at Sacred Heart Seminary in Detroit. Fr. Pat Egan (Ave Maria Foundation in Ann Arbor) and Fr. Frank McGrath (Pastoral Director for Clergy in the Diocese of Bridgeport, Connecticut) have been my spiritual mentors for the past twenty-five years. Fr. Guido Gockel, Director for the Pontifical Mission for Palestine and Israel, Monsignor Lunsford, former chancellor for the Diocese of Lansing, and Fr. John Wiley, my current pastor at Holy Family Church in London and author of Preaching the Gospel, have also given me invaluable support and encouragement. A number of writers also give me ongoing-support and help, including Jeff Smith (President of The Word Among Us), Jeanne Kun, and Bob Bell. (I can give email addresses for anyone interested in writing to any of the above mentioned references.)

Comment

I was wondering the same thing about Bell.
        No, the friend had discernment enough to know that something was wrong. I wanted more knowledgable opinions from here to solidify what we both already pretty much knew. She has contacted the group leader with her concerns, but not heard back yet. Figured we should get the research and stuff done for when they reply with a defense of the use of this stuff.

I found teh site impossible to navigate. I purposely looked up some scriptures that I KNOW the catholic church mis-represents to prove their unbiblical traditions...and he was JUSt vague enough to cause someone who didn't know better to think it was okay. Problem is, the person who chose this material SHOULD have known better....and everyone knew that the writer was RC...and not one of them seemed concerned!!

I seriously need to find another church...things are getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Sing4Him
          Need I point out more?
          sing, point away!
          the more you find that i missed, the better.
          alot of what this guy wrote just kind of knocked against my head and onto the floor. i couldn't understand what his point was...like i was just dull. lol. guess it was too vaguely written for me or something...

Comment

scrappergirl,

the problem that your friend will be encountering is more than just the Emergent people. Ultimately this leads to ecumenism. The Catholic Church is wanting so much to gather people on the road to Rome. Many, many Protestants are now engaging the RCC and her apostate traditions. Slowly, the Protestants are becoming Catholics. To anyone not familiar with the RCC, they are often unaware and consider it a relationship with another Christian denomination, when in fact, it is far from that.

And to make matters worse, the RCC will eventually be linked with Islam, since both worship Mary. Sounds absurd, but it is true. So your friend has a lot to contend with here.

Comment

bride,
              i agree. i saw the references to ecumenicism (sp?) pretty quickly.

my question (rhetorical) is...if this is okay, then i guess its okay to start using studies from mormons and JW sources, too...I mean, hey, so long as nothing is overtly wrong, then why throw out the baby with the bathwater? .../sarcasm

problem with the above thinking is that *I* see things THROUGH the lens of my faith and my faith's doctrine....so wouldn't it be equally true that someone else would, as well? Eventually the reality of that (false) doctrine is going to seep through. You cannot use a dirty filter to yield clean water...this is the same concept.

Comment

I have been noticing the
                words Emergent Church
                would someone be so kind to enlightened me
                about what this means.
                Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mary View Post
                  I have been noticing the
                  words Emergent Church
                  about what this means.
                  Thanks
                  Here is a good place to start.

http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch....gingchurch.htm

Comment

Originally posted by scrappergirl View Post
                    bride,
                    i agree. i saw the references to ecumenicism (sp?) pretty quickly.

my question (rhetorical) is...if this is okay, then i guess its okay to start using studies from mormons and JW sources, too...I mean, hey, so long as nothing is overtly wrong, then why throw out the baby with the bathwater? .../sarcasm

problem with the above thinking is that *I* see things THROUGH the lens of my faith and my faith's doctrine....so wouldn't it be equally true that someone else would, as well? Eventually the reality of that (false) doctrine is going to seep through. You cannot use a dirty filter to yield clean water...this is the same concept.
                    That's exactly what I said....that if we allow the doctrines of the RCC to be considered Christian, then we must open the door and allow Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses the same courtesy.

We must be very careful to define what makes a person "christian" as they are not defined the same. The Jesus Christ of the Bible is not the same Jesus that they all believe in! A thorough search of the doctrines of these religions will reveal the differences to the discerning Christian who basis everything on the Word of God.

Comment

Originally posted by OnceWasLost View Post
                      Don't forget the Church of the Last Days series, a sticky at the top of the Apostasy page! It's excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by His Bride View Post
                        Don't forget the Church of the Last Days series, a sticky at the top of the Apostasy page! It's excellent.
                        Oh, ya.

Comment

Originally posted by OnceWasLost View Post
                          Oh, ya.

Comment

Originally posted by ATYCLB View Post

Comment

Originally posted by mary View Post
                              I have been noticing the
                              words Emergent Church
                              about what this means.
                              Thanks

In our Prophecy section, I sound like a broken record recommending Footsteps of the Messiah, a must have for Prophecy students...here I might sound like the same recommending this outstanding sermon series on The Church in the Last Days, but everything you want to know is found here:

http://www.calvarychapelcypress.net/current.html

Comment

Working...
                              X